JIRA allows you to easily move an issue from one project to another by using the Move Issue wizard.
Please note that you must have the appropriate project permissions to move an issue from one project to another, i.e.
- You must have the Move Issues permission for the project which has the issue that you want to move.
- You must have the Create Issues permission for the project that you wish to move your issue to.
If you do not have either of this permissions, please contact your JIRA administrator to have these added to your user profile.
If you wish to move multiple issues between projects at the same time, please refer to the documentation on bulk moving issues.
Moving an Issue
The Move Issue wizard allows you to specify another project in your JIRA instance to move your selected issue to. As there may be significant differences in the configuration of your original project and target project, the Move Issue wizard allows you to change certain attributes of the issue. These include:
- Issue Type — If your issue is a custom issue type that does not exist in your target project, you must select a new issue type. You can also choose to arbitrarily change the issue type, if you wish.
- Issue Status — You may have set up custom issue statuses as part of a workflow. If you have assigned a custom status to your issue and it does not exist in your target project, you must select a new issue status for your issue. You cannot arbitrarily change the issue status, i.e. the option to change the issue status will only appear if you are required to change it.
- Custom Fields — If you have defined requiredcustom fields for your issue, which do not exist in your target project, you must set values for them. You will only be prompted to change the enter values for required custom fields in the target project, that are missing values. If you wish to change the existing values for other fields on your issue, you can do this after the move is complete.
To move an issue:
- View the issue that you wish to move.
- Select More > Move.
- The first page of the Move Issue wizard is displayed. Select the project that you wish to move your issue to, and if required/desired, change the issue type. Click Next to continue.
- If you are required to change the status of your issue (see explanation above), the Select Status page appears. Select the new status for your issue and click Next to continue.
- If you are required to specify the values for any required custom fields (see explanation above), the Update Fields page is displayed. Specify the desired values for each field, and click Next to continue.
- The confirmation page will display with all of your changes. If you wish to revise any of your changes, you can click the appropriate step in the left-hand menu to return to that page of the wizard. Once you are happy with your changes, click Move to move the issue to the target project.
- Your issue will be moved to the target project and displayed on screen. You can now edit the issue to make further changes, if you wish.
Moving related issues
- If your issue has sub-tasks, the 'Move Issue' wizard will also move the sub-tasks to the target project.
- If you are moving an epic, the 'Move Issue' wizard will not move the issues in the epic. The epic and the issues in the epic will still be linked to each other, but the issues in the epic will remain in the original project. You will need to move them separately.
- Restricted comments appear to be removed after moving the issue. See this article: Restricted comments disappear after moving an issue to a new project.